Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Work Placement - Week 1

In the first day 4th April 2010 I went to Dubai Civil Defence Department Head Quarter and I reached the place on time 7:30 am but because I did not find place to park my car I was late. I asked about Mrs. Thuraya the head of training section in the Dubai Civil Defence department the person who I should contact regarding my work placement. She was very nice to me and welcomed me and explained to me everything about my training and work placement in the department. She told me that I will be working in the Human Resources department for 2 months as they are very busy and they need somebody to help them as they are going to apply new online system. Moreover, she told me that my working time will be different from others as I will be working from 8:00am to 2:00pm and if I am sick or can’t come to the work I have to inform her so she can give me a permission.
Furthermore, after she explained to me the rules of the department Mrs. Thuraya took me to the Human Resource Department to meet Mrs. Laila the Head of Salaries and Allowance section who will be my supervisor during my work placement. Laila started to explain to me that they are three people working in the section and I will be working with them for couple of weeks and also in the other sections of HR department the Personnel affairs and Recruiting section to learn about the department and learn new skills. In addition, they are know will be using the GRP system (Oracle) for the Payroll but before they were doing it manually, also all HR department will attend the training courses on GRP for the next coming weeks and I will be attending the training with them. Later, Mrs. Laila introduced me to her staff Thuraya and Esam and she requested them to explain the working system in details for me. Mr. Esam showed me how they were doing the payroll manually before by excel sheet and counting the staff annual leave salary, deductions and the allowances.
In the first week I didn’t do a lot of work because they told me that they don’t want to teach me about the old system as they are going to use the new GRP system which all the Dubai government sectors had to use it. Plus it connected to Dubai ruler's court as everything regarding the government employees must be entered throughout this system. The first week was boring as we don’t have anything to do not only me but also the other two staff, so I started asking about the department to know more information about the system they working on. I learned that they have to type of employees, civil and military and both have different salaries and allowance. Both category getting basic salary and allowances but the differences are that the military category is getting job nature allowance and their working time is different not 5 days a week as the civil category.
I liked the place and the staff is nice to me and helpful. For the next week I wish it will be different because I want to learn new things and new skills not just setting in one place and doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment